Banana Meringue Pie
– 2 cups vanilla wafers, crushed (8 oz. box)
– 3-4 bananas, cut into slices
– 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
– 1/4 cup flour
– 2 cups milk
– 3 eggs (separate whites and yolks)
– 2 tsp. butter
– 2 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a saucepan, whisk 1 1/2 cups sugar, flour and 1 cup milk. Add yolks and whisk until smooth. Add remaining 1 cup milk and butter.
3. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, whisking constantly so the bottom doesn’t burn. Once the mixture boils reduce heat to low and continue whisking for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
4. Spread 1 cup of crushed wafers in 9 inch (deep dish) pie dish. Place 1/2 banana slices over wafers. Pour half of pudding mixture evenly over bananas.
5. Repeat wafer/banana/pudding layer.
6. Meringue: Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and continue to mix on high until peaks are glossy. Spread gently over the top pudding layer. Cover completely. Bake until meringue is golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.
7. Let pie cool for 20 minutes then move to refrigerator for at least 3 hours to chill before serving.