I am not a fan of meatloaf. Something about meat in the form of a loaf. But this recipe was one I actually liked and would eat again.
Healthy Meatloaf With Collards
– 2 bunches collard greens (strip leaves from stems and finely chop)
– 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
– 1 cup onion, diced
– 1 tsp. garlic, minced
– 1 tsp. salt
– 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
– 1 tbsp. hot sauce
– 1/2 tsp. cumin
– 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
– 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
– 1 1/2 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
– 1/2 cup reduced fat milk
– 1 lb. 90% lean ground beef (or bison)
– 1 lb. lean ground pork
– 2 eggs
– 3/4 cup ketchup
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft about 3 minutes.
2. Add collards, garlic and 1/2 tsp. salt stir about 2 minutes. Add hot sauce, cumin, paprika and pepper and continue to cook until greens are completely soft. Transfer to a bowl and let cool about 15 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl combine milk and bread crumbs. Let stand for 10 minutes.
4. Pre heat oven to 350.
5. Add beef, pork, eggs, 1/2 cup ketchup, breadcrumb mixture and 1/2 tsp. salt to the greens. Mix by hand to combine. Form into a loaf and place on your cooking sheet.
6. Bake for 30 minutes. Add remaining ketchup to the top. Increase the oven temp to 400 and continue cooking for another 35 minutes. Cook until internal temp reads 165.
7. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.