Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
Cook on low for 6-8 hours
– 1 lb. lean ground turkey
– 2 tsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil
– 1 cup onions, diced
– 2 tbsp. minced garlic
– 2 tsp. chile powder
– 1 tbsp. ground cumin
– 1 tsp. oregano
– 1 1/4 cups salsa
– 1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
– 1 can (15 oz.) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
– 1 can (16 oz.) low-fat refried beans
– 1 cup beef/vegetable broth
1. Heat two teaspoons olive oil in a large frying pan, add the ground turkey and cook about 10 minutes or until browned. Remove turkey and place in slow cooker.
2. In the same pan, add the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil and add onions. Cook until they start to brown. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the spices (cumin, chile powder and oregano) and cook another 2-3 minutes. Add onion mixture to the slow cooker.
3. In the same pan, add broth and refried beans. Mix until well blended. Add to slow cooker.
4. Rinse and drain pinto and kidney beans. Add to slow cooker.
5. Add salsa to slow cooker.
6. Stir ingredients together and set cooker to low. Cook 6-8 hours.