This is a great Big Green Egg recipe! Looking for a different way to BBQ your chicken? This may be a good one to try. (you can make this on a regular BBQ, Big Green Egg not necessary)
What the heck does spatchcocked mean?
This is also known as “spattlecock” or “butterflying” your bird. This means that you are cooking your bird with the backbone removed and, in most cases, flattening it out on the grill.
How do you remove the backbone?
We didn’t know how to do this either. lol. A great YouTube video here.
Spatchcocked BBQ Chicken
– 1 6 pound whole chicken, backbone removed
– 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
– 2 tablespoons Better Than Bouillon® Organic Roasted Chicken Base
– 1⁄2 cup ketchup
– 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
– 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
– 1 tbsp. paprika
– 1 tbsp. ORIGINAL Louisiana Hot Sauce
– 1 tsp. garlic powder
– 1 tsp. chili powder
– 1 tsp. ground black pepper
1. Lay your chicken flat and coat with oil.
2. Mix all other ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover chicken with sauce. We used our hands but a brush would be less savage:) Be sure to get under the skin with the sauce!
3. Let sit in cool area or fridge for minimum 2 hours max 8.
4. Prepare your Egg/BBQ for direct heat. Your temps. should be at 250 – 300. Once temps. are reached put bird on grill breast side down. Cook for 10-15 minutes. Check to make sure you aren’t burning this side!
5. Flip and continue to cook for 35 – 40 minutes or until the internal temps. reaches 165 °F/74°C.
6. Remove from grill and let rest in foil 10 minutes before serving.