Spinach and Tuna Casserole
– 6 oz. egg noodles
– 3 tbsp. butter
– 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
– 1 cup red onion (minced)
– 2 stalks celery (minced)
– 3 tbsp. dry sherry
– 2 tsp. low sodium soy sauce
– 1/2 tsp. salt
– 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
– 1/4 cup wheat flour
– 2 cups chicken broth
– 1 cup milk
– 2 tsp. dijon mustard
– 2 5oz. cans tuna, drained and chopped
– 8 cups spinach, chopped
– 1 cup Panka breadcrumbs
– 1 cup cheddar cheese
1. Cook noodles. Strain water and put aside.
2. Heat butter and oil in large pot over the stove until butter is melted. Add onion and celery and cook until soft about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in sherry, soy sauce, salt and pepper and cook until the liquid is almost all evaporated about 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour and stir until coated.
4. Increase the heat and add 1/2 cup of broth. Bring to a boil. Once it boils add remaining broth, milk and mustard. Let boil, stirring often, until sauce thickens about 2 minutes.
5. Add tuna, spinach and noodles. Cook to heat through about 4 minutes. Pour into prepared dish (9×13 baking dish or large skillet if cooking on the egg).
6. Combine breadcrumbs, cheese and 1 tbsp. oil. Sprinkle on top of casserole. Bake at 375 until cheese browns about 20 minutes.
TIP: We cooked ours on the Egg. If you are doing this, bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Turn up heat to 500+ and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes to brown cheese.