Healthy “Hamburger Helper”
– 1 lb. ground turkey
– 2 tbsp butter
– 1 medium onion, finely chopped
– 1 tbsp flour + 1 tsp
– 1 tsp garlic salt
– 1/2 tsp sea salt
– 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
– 1 cup milk (or other milk alternative)
* Choose any noodles of your choice. We used a Chickpea elbow noodle that we found at most grocery stores.
1. Cook the noodles as directed by the box. Set aside.
2. As the noodles cook brown the ground turkey in a saucepan. Set aside.
3. Prepare the cheese sauce. In a pot, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in chopped onion and cook until translucent. Add in flour and garlic salt, stir until butter is absorbed into the flour.
4. Add 1/3 cup of milk and stir until incorporated. Add the remaining milk and stir until completely incorporated and thickened (about 5 minutes).
5. Stir in nutritional yeast and salt to the sauce, taste and adjust as necessary. Add more nutritional yeast for a thicker and cheesier sauce.
6. Pour over cooked noodles, stir in meat and serve immediately!